Sunday, March 19, 2006

Am I really a mother?



I have officially been a mom for 11 and a half weeks! There are times I cannot BELIEVE that the good folks at the hospital really let me bring this child home. (Quite frankly, I am still in awe that the people at the pet store so blithely allowed us to bring home Wechsler the wonder dog all those years ago!) But Mattie Moo is wonderful! He is so loving and sweet, even at this young age. I can't believe Randy and I got so lucky! Maybe the people at the hospital knew what they were doing after all.

I am amazed at the changes that have happened in our little man in such a short time. He has already grown from 8lbs 1 oz to over 14 lbs! I still get a little misty each time he out grows an outfit. He is already smiling regularly (and not just when he has gas!), and the doctor says that anyday we can expect him to roll over. He has almost even got this how sleeping through the night thing down.

I have to say, I am having to eat a lot of my words! (The same thing happened when I got married!) I never believed the stories about losing your memory once you had a kid, but sure enough, I have shown up in stores TWICE with a baby in tow, but NO purse. I also never thought I would be one of THOSE WOMEN who just wants to hang out with her kid and watch Sesame Street all day, and I darn sure wasn't going to get sucked into buying theme toys, but I have to say it has taken every ounce of self restraint I have not to buy the Go to the Doctor Elmo! (The only reason I haven't is that it is rated for 18 month olds, and Mattie, while advanced, is not even 3 months!)

In any event, I think I am going to like this whole mom thing! I know I can get better with some practice. I am trying to savor every moment and NOT get caught up in wishing and longing for the time when he can [insert an advanced developmental milestone here]. I do love this little guy and want to do right by him, no matter what. (I guess that is why I make sure he has a steady supply of breast milk even though he has no interest in being breast fed!) Hey, maybe that is what being a mom is all about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home