Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Girl Power

Okay, last night I was congratulated by one of my students who saw me auctioneering at the Hopkinsville Rotary Auction. She was amazed that they let me on the air, not because I am loud and obnoxious, but because our Rotary really is a BOYS CLUB! She was amazed that I had broken the glass ceiling.

I am not sure what to say to this. Last year I simply let the club know that I wanted to be an auctioneer, and I was put on the schedule. I think I did a good job, but I also sent the committee chair a thank-you note, and bam, I am back in the saddle again.

As a child I longed to sit at the table and auction items. I would lie in bed with the radio turned down low and dream of the day I could be the one asking for bids on Burger's Country Hams and Dry Cleaning gift certificates. To be an auctioneer was my primary motivation for joining the club, although I am so proud of our student loan program and other worthwhile community services. The Hopkinsville Rotary Auction is the Largest Rotary Auction in the world. Last year we raised $270 in one week! It is amazing how generous our small community can be! I have to say, being passed the microphone is everything I dreamed it would be.

I am glad I can be a role model and still have fun. If you are in the listening area, you can hear me tomorrow night on AM 1230. Call in and bid. It is much more exciting than eBay!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Well you MUST read my weekend wrapup post - I participated (well attended) a ROTARY event too! I so wished I worked in Hendersonville and could join our Lakeside Rotary. Ah... maybe someday! ;-)

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home