Friday, May 12, 2006

Let It Sno - a lover's lament

Where has it gone? Summer is almost here, but the tell-tale signs are nowhere to be found. This saddens me. As a kid I looked forward to it. When I could drive, it was where I spent a great deal of my summer income. But I guess it is to be no more.

The local Tropical Sno shack that was once in the Big Lots (formerly Walmart) parking lot seems to be a thing of the past. Once again I will miss the icy goodness and cool refreshment I used to count on. From Banana plus Bubble Gum to Cotton Candy and Red Hot plus Green Apple to Fresh Strawberry, these sweet memories are all that sustain me. I think I would even settle for some Tigers Blood or Peach without Cream if it meant I had access to that frozen delight.

Sure I go to Kroger and buy Banana Pops, but it isn't the same. I even caught myself today trying to crunch up some ice then chase it with a swig of lemonade to recreate that familiar sensation, but to no avail. I have even considered scouring the internet for a French Mouli and a block of ice so as to attempt to make this delicacy for myself, but I know it would not compare.

I know there will be a stand at our local fair, but I have a hard time paying an exorbitant entry fee for something that used to be part of a nightly car ride. I guess this will just be one of those things about which I reminise as I sit in my rocking chair at the old folks home. I will recall fondly the shack's shabby exterior, the obligitory picnic table out to the side, and the thrill that the instillation of the drive-thru brought in the summer of '89!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home