Saturday, June 03, 2006

Sad for me, Happy for you, Middlesboro!


It is almost here. Phil and Barbara are really leaving in one week. I am very sad, but I am trying to enjoy them while they are still here. I look forward to meeting Jeff and Shelly and the journey they will make with us. I sent them a card of welcome. I also sent a card to Barbara and Phil's new church with a letter of introduction. This is what it said...
Greetings to you, the Congregation of Covenant United Methodist Church!

I feel confident that it is with a heavy heart that you say good bye to your own, Pastor Bowling. He is most likely going to share his gifts and blessings with another church as he has been called to do, as is the way in the Methodist practice.

I too am bidding adieu to my minister, but my loss is certainly your gain. On June 18th you will be blessed with the leadership of Dr. Philip Hill, and what blessings he has to share. Brother Phil has certainly been an asset to our community in the 9 years he served at St. John. He is an inspirational speaker, knowledgeable theologian, compassionate caregiver, and gifted teacher.

I have faith that Mrs. Arnett will be thrilled to have his strong and powerful voice in the choir loft, because he is a beautiful singer. Mr. Coston will be glad for the support and dedication he has to nurturing young believers and bringing others to the faith. I can tell you that Brother Phil brought our newborn son into the faith and brought my husband and I back to it.

In addition to his ministerial work, Brother Phil is an avid outdoors man and fisherman. While in Hopkinsville he served as the DJ for the high school soccer games and the assistant coach of a high school tennis team. His wife Barbara not only teaches a popular and active Sunday School class and coordinates the snack suppers for the Sunday night youth group meetings. She is a chemistry and biology teacher, “hardcore” scrap booker and card maker, photographer, and apple pie baker! So you can see, we are not only losing a minister and his wife. We are losing dear friends.

I know you will grow to love Phil and Barbara as we do, and I am writing to ask you to please look after them. They will be sorely missed at St. John and in Hopkinsville. On communion Sunday when you sing “Here I Am Lord,” please think of us. After you hear Brother Phil sing it, you will understand. I am sure Brother Phil has big shoes to fill, but standing at 6 foot 7, he may have just the feet for the job!

Best wishes and blessings on you all!
Yours in Christian Love!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

what a sweet letter! how nice.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home